Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Meat Truck

I've learnt a new Aussie term, and I really think it's so cute, this one.
I bumped into my workmate as I was walking to work through the mall, and we were chatting about things, work, transfers, year-end doo dah...and as we were about to cross the road to work, when he spotted a small commotion on the other side of the road which involved the police and commented "ooh, someone's been naughty, the meat truck's here". I proceeded to ask him why he calls it a meat truck, because in my mind, a meat truck is the truck that butchers own to carry the meat around. He explained that it's because you've got to be quite a meat head to get into one of these things. I happily told my other colleague of the new term I learnt that morning and was told that the term meat truck is also used to refer to aumbulances. I think it's so cute how he refers to that as the meat truck.

The meat truck..

The correct term for this meat truck is Cage Car or Prisoner Transport Vehicle. It's essentially a jail like thing attached to the back of a converted pickup truck to transport naughty people to the police stations/lockups. I think it should be called portajail, just like how they call the portable loos they have at concerts and big events or construction sites. Portable loos, Port-a-loo, Portable jail, hence, Port-a-jail.

2 comments:

Kevin Teoh said...

porta jails? lol.

Kuanniewong said...

jails that are portable...porta-jail! =))