Saturday, October 20, 2007

Jaywalking

A few weeks ago, our study at BSF looked at Romans 13:1-7, which talked about submission to authority. God placed our authorities and rulers where they for our good, and they at the end of the day have to submit to God. Our authorities (governments, bosses, work, parents) placed rules for our own good, to protect us from harm or to benefit us in the long run even if they sound ridiculous.

We had to share what our struggle with the authorities were (i.e. what rules we break). Most of the answers had to do with driving (i.e. speeding, not wearing seatbelts, parking overtime, etc.) I thought I was doing quite well, since I don't drive so technically I don't break any rules. Until someone brought up jaywalking. I thought I was still doing fine until someone said that it's considered jaywalking if you start crossing when the red light is flashing. We all had to go back and try to submit to our authority on the issues we struggle with.


I've been doing my best at not jaywalking. It's been very hard especially when you know you will make it before the light stays red. It's hard when you're late or pressed for time. I did very well the week after that BSF study, and it's slowly slipping downhill since, and I jaywalked this afternoon.

Two days ago, I was reading the City Messenger newspaper and there was an article about this girl who was knocked down by a car near my house and this happened 4 days after the police started "Operation Amble" which targets jaywalkers. Jaywalkers caught will be fined $38 (that includes a $5 inflation from afew years ago according to my friend who was fined for jaywalking). That'll be the most expensive street crossing toll fee. That explains the reason the heavy police presence at major road junctions and I thought they were stepping up security in the city. I better not be jaywalking anymore. I guess this is God's way of keeping me in check.

My issue with submitting to the authority is jaywalking. What's yours?

2 comments:

gilliangel said...

Havent checked your blog in ages!=)

Ive always wondered - what if the authorities were not submitting to Christ (ie Malaysia) what happens then?
Its an obvious choice if the decisions they enforce are totally against the will and Word of God. But what if it is grey-ish? Not quite black and white?

Hmm.

Kuanniewong said...

Hey Geedyfoo! =P

What a pleasant surprise! =)

I know exactly what you mean and where you're coming from.

In Romans 13:1-5 where they talk about submission to the authorities,

v1 says that all authorities have been put in place by God.

v2 rebelling against authority will mean rebelling against God because of v1 and bring judgement upon themselves.

At the end of the day, if the authorities go against the Word of God, they(not us) have to answer to God, and if we go against the authorities(because we feel that it's not right), we will then have to answer to God eventhough it was the authorities who were in the wrong. So, in the end, have to just submit to the authorities even if they are wrong.

which leads to more questions I have in my head....