Saturday, December 22, 2007

Hyde Park Tavern

A few of us went to the Hyde Park Tavern for dinner. With the word Tavern in the name, I thought that it would be one of the old stone buildings with the old pub feel. It was instead a new modern looking place with nice clean lines to its interior.


The dips and starters we ordered. I loved the beetroot dip.


Never been a fan of beetroot, but I think I want to learn to make the dip! The assortment of starters wasn't too bad, but some items like the bocconcini had the texture of a rubber ball whilst not having any flavours. Olives on the other hand, is an acquired taste, and its definately not a taste that I've acquired yet. The other starters were just meatballs, salt and pepper squid and chorizos.




The wine that Uncle Lim brought along.

I remember that it wasn't too spicy, but there was still a hint of pepper to the taste as with all Shiraz. It was quite smooth, not too dry. Not exactly a wine connoisseur, I don't think I'm doing too much justice to the wine with my description. =P


My main, Wagyu beef with roasted potatoes. I've heard so much about the Wagyu beef and how tender it is. We were joking that it'd even fall apart by just us looking at the piece of beef, or not needing a knife to cut it.



I was so hungry that I thought I could eat a horse, and therefore I ordered the beef.

I was famished by the time it arrived and I stuck my fork and knife into the meat, and it felt as tough I had to saw through the meat. It was certainly not as tender as I expected it to be. I was rather disappointed. The halloumi cheese on top of the beef was quite tasty, with a chewy feel to it.


We then proceeded to a friend's house nearby to play Wii, which was absolutely fun! My arm hurt so much the day after from playing the "running" game. That's just a picture of how unfit I am, but then again, the Wii games emphasize the use of all the muscles that we don't usually use.
For dessert, we had a homemade blackforest cake, made by one of our friends. Looks like a molten chocolate mountain, but it was absolutely decadent. Warm melted chocolate on a rich chocolate cake and pitted cherries...oooh...the calories on my hips!!! =(

No comments: